It’s time to reform our democracy and restore the voices of everyday Americans. I was proud to spearhead the By the People legislative package which supported good government reforms. Currently I serve as Chair of the Democracy Reform Task Force. As chair, I am leading the fight in the House of Representatives to confront President Trump on his ethical lapses and conflicts of interest, fight back against special-interest policies in Congress, and advance reforms to promote accountability and transparency in our government.
For the People Act. (H.R. 1)
A Constitutional Amendment to overturn Citizens United (H.J. 22)
- Would reverse the Supreme Court’s 2010 decision that removed all limits on Big Money expenditures in our elections and unleashed the era of Super PACs and secret money groups.
Redistricting Reform Act (H.R. 2173)
- Would provide a national solution to the problem of political gerrymandering by requiring all states to set up independent, non-partisan redistricting commissions.
Voting Rights Advancement Act (H.R. 2867)
- Would update the Voting Rights Act and restore key components that were gutted by the Roberts Supreme Court.
Voting Empowerment Act (H.R. 12)
- Would help ensure equal access to the ballot for every eligible voter, modernize our voter registration system to increase participation, and eliminate deceptive practices that suppress voter turnout.
Congressional Gold Medal (H.R. 431)
- Would award the Congressional Gold Medal to the Foot Soldiers of the 1965 March from Selma to Montgomery. In 2015, on the 50th Anniversary of the march, Congressman Sarbanes traveled to Alabama with John Lewis and a broad delegation to mark the occasion.
* * * *
Congressman John Sarbanes has been endorsed by End Citizens United and has received a 15/18 rating on the Common Cause Democracy Scorecard.