Today, Congressman John Sarbanes (D-Md.) joined U.S. Senators Chris Van Hollen and Ben Cardin, along with Representatives Elijah E. Cummings and Dutch Ruppersberger (all D-Md.), in writing a letter to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to thank them for their work on the City of Baltimore ransomware attack and to request a briefing on the attack once operations conclude.
The Members asked several questions regarding the attack, including:
- The identity of the individuals or groups responsible and the methods used in the attack;
- What federal resources were available to the City to respond to the attack and regain control of its systems;
- What resources were actually provided to the City;
- What resources are available to assist the City in enhancing its cybersecurity to prevent similar attacks in the future;
- Details of similar attacks to other municipalities and states, and steps your agencies and those governments took in the wake of those attacks.
- What additional authority or funding Congress could provide to assist in recovery or prevent similar attacks on state and local governments around the country.