I have represented Maryland’s 3rd Congressional District in the House of Representatives since 2007. As a lifelong Marylander and one of the few members of Congress who has the opportunity to drive home every night, I hear directly from you in real time about your concerns and priorities.
While in Congress
In Congress, I sit on the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, where I serve as Vice- Chair of the Subcommittee on Health, and am a member of the Subcommittee on Environment and Climate Change and the House Committee on Oversight and Reform. I've also chaired the Democracy Reform Task Force and co-chaired the bi-partisan Chesapeake Bay Task Force. I fight to keep our government transparent and accountable, ensure access to affordable health care, preserve the Chesapeake Bay and protect our planet from the dangerous threat of climate change.
I am proud of my record in Congress:
- Keeping our communities healthy. I voted YES to lower healthcare premiums, invest in biomedical research, tighten food safety and strengthen our public health system.
- Preserving our environment. I voted YES for an historic investment in Chesapeake Bay restoration and key funding for climate change initiatives that promote clean, affordable energy and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.
- Helping our small businesses. I voted YES to expand critical loan and grant programs that helped thousands of small businesses survive the pandemic.
- Promoting public safety. I voted YES to support the local law enforcement agencies, crisis intervention teams and community groups that are working together to reduce gun violence, address opioid addiction and make our neighborhoods safer.
- Fixing our infrastructure. I voted YES for the bipartisan infrastructure bill, which is bringing hundreds of millions of dollars to Maryland to upgrade our roads, bridges and tunnels and expand capacity at the Port of Baltimore.
- Serving our veterans. I voted YES to boost funding for mental health care services for our veterans and extend the reach of community-based VA clinics.
- Supporting our seniors. I voted YES to enhance telehealth services for our seniors and ensure broad access to critical nutrition programs that help them stay healthy and active.
- Lifting up our young people. I voted YES to strengthen Head Start, increase funding for child nutrition programs and school-based health centers, and provide resources for schools to navigate COVID.